In this article we will be talking about the world's fastest car known to mankind, and that car is called the ThrustSSC.
The ThrustSSC is the worlds fastest land vehicle. It was built and designed in Britain in 1996.
The ThrustSSC holds the highest Speed Record. The fastest land speed record was recorded on October 15, 1997. The ThrustSSC exceeded speeds of 763 MPH. Noble not only accomplished the world speed record in 1997, he also become the first person to break the sound barrier with the ThrustSSC.
Noble was the man behind the wheel of Thrust 2, this is the car that broke the World's Land Speed Record in 1983.
More information about The ThrustSSC
- Year: 1997 - The Speed Record holding car was designed and driven by Richard Noble.
- Other known designers of the ThrustSSC are Jeremy Bliss, Ron Ayres and Glynne Bowsher, ThrustSSC. The ThrustSSC was driven by the RAF fighter pilot Squadron Leader Andy Green in the Black Rock Desert of Nevada, USA. - Curb weight: 10.6 tones
- Engine: two Rolls-Royce Spey turbofan:-; initially: Rolls-Royce Spey 202; finally: Rolls-Royce Spey 205
- Designer: Richard Noble, Glynne Bowsher, Ron Ayers, and Jeremy Bliss
- Manufacturer: SSC Programme Limited
- Class: Land Speed Record vehicle
- Successor: Bloodhound LSR
- Width: 3.7 m (12 ft)
-This land speed record car had two insane looking Rolls-Royce Spey turbofan engines. These are the same engines that are in British F-4 Phantom II jet fighters.
-These turbo engines developed a incredible thrust of 223 kN (50,000 lbf) and was reported to burn about 18 litres of fuel per second.